On this episode the guys take a question from Replant Pastor, Christopher Lee regarding his work at Highland’s Community Church.
Q: How does small church, who has been hurt by past Shepherds, move on into the next season?
Ultimately, this is a question of trust.
- You have to build trust and then move forward-in that order. Trust is the currency of leadership
- Change moves at the speed of trust-and gaining trust takes time.
- Trust is gained in the context of relationship: at the bedside, funerals, counseling etc.
Seek to understand the trauma of the past-in order to understand not dig up dirt.
- Ask, “How have the last years been difficult for you as a member of the church?”
- Be aware that some may view you through the lens of their past hurt
- Empathize but don’t villainize previous shepherds
- Help them overcome their fear of you as a Pastor
People need to know that they can trust your Character and your Competency.
Check out the audio for more helpful suggestions from Jimbo and Bob. Thanks Chris!! We appreciate you and your work.
Take time this summer and address your Website. Our great sponsor One Eighty Digital can get your Church a website up and running in the right direction.
Show notes powered by Descript are an approximation of the verbal content, consult podcast audio for accuracy