EP 131 – CULTIVATING DESIRE IN CULTURE CHANGE with Keelan Cook
While the boys were in Atlanta for the annual AMS Replant Practitioner Lab they took some time to record several episodes with some of the plenary speakers. Keelan Cook is OG for the Replant Practitioner Lab and the OG Replant Bootcamp Missiologist.
In the previous episode with Dr. Casey “The Chin” Williams the guys discussed the importance of missions methodology being informed first by right theology and then right missiology.
Theology > Missiology > Methodology
But when it comes to methodology, what is the best way to get people to act on the call we all have to be missionaries? Good information won’t be enough. There has to be a desire, there has to be affection.
In this episode, Keelan Cook helps us think through the integrity of our messaging and the ways that we learn.
Developing desire is the most important aspect of navigating outreach.
- Integrity of message:
- MACRO-LEVEL — Broadcast level that is most likely to hit the whole church at once. Think sermons, website, emails, etc.
- MESO-LEVEL (mid-level) — Smaller groupings of people within the church where much equipping and fellowshipping takes place. Think sunday school classes, small groups etc.
- MICRO-LEVEL — Interpersonal interaction. Think the foyer prior to corporate worship, or lunch following the service
- LOVE BY DOING
- Learning domains
- Cognitive (Head) – Knowledge and concepts
- Affective (Heart) – Emotional buy-in
- Behavioral (Hands) – Activity-based
- Learning domains
“In 1964 Leon Festinger’s research led him to advance the radical notion that the knowledge–behaviour relationship actually works the other way around – that is, people are more likely to behave their way into thinking than think their way into behaving” – Shaw, Transforming Theological Education, 2014.
Your website is part of your church’s mission to reach the community-is it working? Connect with our great partner, One Eighty Digital and get their help to make sure your website both reflects who your church is and what you are about.
Drop us a line, send us a voicemail-we’d love to hear about your story in reaching the community God has placed you within.