Well Bootcampers, summer is right around the corner and that means a lot of things. Shorts, BBQ, swimming and the summer slump in weekly attendance. Fear not loyal Bootcamp listener, the summer provides some great opportunities to connect with your community in creative ways while mobilizing your church to be more missional. The guys break down some of the ways from this original blog post on another site, you can find here.
- Pray for your neighbors by name (Of course, you’ll have to learn their names to do this).
- Take a morning or evening walk everyday at the same time. Pray. Wave and say hello if the opportunity allows. If you have a dog or kids take them with you.
- Invite neighbors or co-workers over for a cook-out or “porch-party.” Having people in your home can be intimidating. Move the party outside and enjoy.
- Have kids and have neighbors with kids? Water balloons and squirt guns go a long way.
- Neighbors who are shut-in, elderly, or alone may enjoy a visit from time to time. Just ask?
- Find neighbors interested in a block party or school kick-off and plan ahead for the fall.
- Live music in your city/neighborhood-gather and go.
- Popsicles in the Park. Bring popsicles for your little ones and extras to share.
- Look for opportunities to help. Notice the grass getting long or a trash bin still on the road or knocked over? Take the initiative and help out. People will realize you don’t just care about yourself.
- Listen. This missional principle is essential. Listen to your neighbors and co-workers. Listening shows you care, allows you to respond in a way that is thoughtful, and makes the world bigger and more beautiful.
Do you have some missional ideas or things your church as done to reach people during the summer? We’d love to hear about it, drop us a line, voicemail or comment and remember to subscribe and share your feedback on your favorite Podcasting Platform.
This summer would be a great time to address your church website and branding. Our awesome sponsor, One Eighty Digital has the know how and experience to get you heading in the right direction. Give them a shout, let them know you are a Bootcamper!