Episode #3 – How NOT to Lead Facility Changes
In this episode Bob and JimBo start a new segment called, ‘Stupid Stuff We Did and Survived’. JimBo will share a few stories of how he unwisely led facility changes. We invite you to laugh at us and with us during this episode. Hopefully you will be encouraged and challenged as well.
Some things to consider in leading change well
- Cast a vision for change, don’t just make changes. When people understand and believe in the ‘WHY’ behind changes it is easier for them to get on board.
- Communicate and then communicate some more. You cannot over-communicate.
- Have compassion for how change impacts people. (Jeff Iorg does a great job of talking about this in his book, ‘Leading Major Change‘).
- Move to a system where everything does not have to be voted on, but you still need to give people a voice in the process.
- Create a diverse team of people to help lead change in the church.
What are some of your stories of leading change that didn’t go well?
baptist, Bob Bickford, chainsaw, change leadership, church, church facilities, church leadership, church replant, church replanting, church revitalization, declining churches, dying churcehs, dying churches, facilities, Gospel, How NOT to lead change, Jimbo Stewart, leadership, leading change, ministry, NAMB, pastor, pastoral, pastoral ministry, replant, replanting, Residency, revitalization, revitalize, SBC, Southern Baptist, stupid stuff, stupid stuff we did and survived